On Thu, Jan 25, 2001 at 08:26:24AM -0500, Christopher W. Aiken wrote:
> On Thu, 25 Jan 2001, Hall Stevenson wrote:
>
> -|
> -|Out of curiosity, I made .xinitrc a sym link to .xsession. Is this okay
> -|?? Saves me from having to edit two files in case I change from using
> -|xdm or starting X with startx...
> -|
> -|Regards
> -|Hall
> -|
>
> Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the ".xsession" file is used
> if you boot up in a graphics mode (i.e.  xdm, gdm, kdm, etc.) and
> the .xinitrc file is used if you boot up in a non-gui mode and
> manually run "startx" to bring up your desktop. A symb link on these
> files should pose no problems.

Actually, I think on Debian at least, one only needs an .xsession file
for both modes (other distributions are different).  At least, it has
always worked here.  Should be that /etc/Xsession is always run, and it
sources ~/.xsession.  Check /etc/xinit/xinitrc (which is run by startx).

--
Eric G. Miller <egm2@jps.net>