Hi !

Why should it be preferable to track release status?

You might accidentally upgrade your mission critical server to a new
distribution when you just wished to install the newest security
patches. A few details always break or have to be modified by hand.
I think it is much safer to track release names and do such an upgrade
on purpose.

Greetings

Diego Biurrun