On Fri, Feb 14, 2003 at 07:03:08PM +0000, Jonathan Matthews wrote:
> Hi everyone.
>
> Can anyone recommend/warn me off any PCI graphics cards that
> are still available at retail?
>
> I've googled a bit, but can't find any info written in the last year or
> so, or any relevant to X4.x
>
> FWIW I'm running X4.2, with a 15" CRT and a K6-III/550Mhz.
> I'd be looking to try Quake I/II/III (or as far as the K6 will let me
> go), and general desktoppy stuff.  I'd like to have the facility to run
> in as high a resolution as possible at a reasonable refresh rate (where
> reasonable is, I spose, >65Hz).

WAY too slow for me... :-)

Dunno about its gaming compatibility, cos I don't have any games, but
PCI cards with the SiS 6326 chipset still seem to be around, and are
pretty cheap. The dot clock goes up to 175MHz so refresh rates can be
pretty fast. It does 1280x1024 @ 24bpp which is (surely) as fine as
you'll want on a 15" monitor, haven't tried anything finer but I
believe it is capable of more. Generally I run it at 800x600, 24bpp,
100Hz on a 17" CRT, which works fine for web browsing, word processing
and stuff.

It's also good in text mode as it can do fast text mode dot clocks -
the spec doesn't say how fast, but I wouldn't be too surprised if it
was the same as in graphics mode; you program the registers in exactly
the same way. So you can construct fine, fast-refresh screens with
svgatextmode (and my ClockProg hack).

Pigeon