Pollywog wrote:

> I am trying to install the netscape4 package, but it complains that
> xpm4g is not installed.  The latter package has been replaced by
> another which IS installed, but netscape4 won't hear of it.
>
> I tried 'dpkg --force-conflicts -i netscape4_xyz.i386.deb' but I
> still can't get it installed.

Use --force-depends, not --force-conflicts.

Or better yet, don't install an out-of-date package that is about to
be removed from testing and unstable.  If you want the latest netscape
4 (4.76), either get the meta "netscape" package, or install all the
non-meta packages whose versions are 4.76-1 and names are navigator[..]
or communicator[..] (depending on which one you want).