Brian May([EMAIL PROTECTED])@Tue, Feb 13, 2001 at 05:46:56PM +1100:

>     Bram> 1) How do you rebuild the dpkg db on a system where there
>     Bram> are so many self-compiled/installed programs that you lost
>     Bram> track of it.  I mean, is there a simple way of checking them
>     Bram> in the db, so you can upgrade easily to the newest versions
>     Bram> or do you have to install the debs and then remove your
>     Bram> originally compiled programs.
>
> apt?

I know apt, and I love it :) but that wasn't what I meant.
I used to install Debian because I liked the install and where it put stuff.
Everything on there is compiled by hand until recently when I discovered apt :)
so I want all those programs to be in my dpkg db, so I can upgrade them through
apt-get.

>     Bram> 2) Is there a way to update the dpkg db, with your own
>     Bram> program info.  Without creating a .deb.  ex: I installed x
>     Bram> from sources and of course there isn't anything in my system
>     Bram> except the binaries and the config files, that show that I
>     Bram> installed it.  Can I manually add that to the dpkg db? Or
>     Bram> should I just edit some files in /var/lib/dpkg ?
>
> You should install packages like this under /usr/local.
>
> Also see the "stow" package.

ok tnx, but I want them in my dpkg db, not in a seperate db :)

--
/bye
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

        People using html in email should be shot.

By US Code Title 47, Sec.227(a)(2)(B), a computer/modem/printer meets the
definition of a telephone fax machine. By Sec.227(b)(1)(C), it is unlawful to
send any unsolicited advertisement to such equipment. By Sec.227(b)(3)(C), a
violation of the aforementioned Section is punishable by action to recover
actual monetary loss, or $500, whichever is greater, for each violation.