On Tue, Feb 13, 2001 at 10:17:14AM -0600, Keith G. Murphy wrote:
> Bryan Carpenter wrote:
> >
> > I'm a newbie asking for help as to which network
> > card to buy that will "just be seen" by a standard
> > Debian 2.2.17 install.  I've tried a Netgear FA312
> > and a Linksys LNE100TX rev. 4.1, but neither seems
> > to be easy to set up.  I did try getting the "tulip"
> > driver from scyld.com, but it seems to require munging
> > to compile and use.  I'm willing to spend money to get a
> > card that will either just "be seen" and set up by
> > the default install, or else at most need to have
> > one of the standard optional modules chosen that
> > are offered early in the Debian install.

Missed the original note...

My only purchase of a card has been an SMC 1211TX EZCard 10/100.  Uses the
8139too driver directly.  Works with no problems, no fuss, no mess...

Can't say whether the driver is part of a standard kernel image, though.

$12 (?) at Compusa.

Kenward
--
It is not so very important for a person to learn facts.  For that he
doesn't really need a college education, for he can learn them from