Hi,

I am having a problem booting to a Compaq LTE5200 laptop.  It has
been runnning linux for almost two years until yesterday when I decided
to try to upgrade it using a bootable CD.  Since it did not seem to boot
from the CD, I thought I might make it happen by modifying /etc/lilo.conf.

Here's what I have

/dev/hda1       400+M   ext2            /opt
/dev/hda2       1.6+G   Extented
/dev/hda5       80M     swap
/dev/hda6       1.6+G   ext2            /       *bootdisk

/dev/hda1 used to have Windows98, but was reformatted to accommondate more
linux applications, and is not bootable.  (This was done more than one
month ago.)  But /etc/lilo.conf still has this windows information up
until yesterday, so I thought I'd modify it and try to add /dev/hdb
and see if that makes CDROM a bootable device.

After reboot, the first message displays reads

120 MHz Pentium Processor
External Cache: 256K Enabled
Invalid partition table

I tried to boot from a rootless diskette (floppy module and CDROM module
share the same drive bay), and run lilo from there, but there an error
message returning that said:

# lilo -C /mnt/etc/lilo.conf -b /dev/hda6 -i /mnt/boot.boot.b

Ignoring entry 'root'
Ignoring entry 'install'
First boot sector doesn't have a valid LILO signature

The /etc/lilo.conf looks like this:

boot = /dev/hda
compact
timeout = 1
prompt
  vga = normal
  read-only
map = /boot/map
install = /boot/boot.p
image = /boot/vmlinuz
  lable = linux
  root = /dev/hda6

I am at my wit's end.  As far as I can tell, everything looks fine.
Mounting /dev/hda6 after booting from tomsrbt diskette shows that
evrerything is still there.  However, when I use Windows98 bootdisk to
boot, and run fdisk from dos prompt, it shows that /dev/hda2 is not a
bootable device, and there is no /dev/hda5 or /dev/hda6.  I am not sure
how the whole thing happened.  Would appreciate any suggestion. Thanks!

Best wishes,
Chip