In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Eric G. Miller <egm2@jps.net> wrote:
>On Sun, Feb 18, 2001 at 08:11:23PM +0100, Roberto Diaz wrote:
>> > Interesting ports on localhost (127.0.0.1):
>> > Port    State       Protocol  Service
>> > 22      open        tcp        ssh
>> > 111     open        tcp        sunrpc
>> >
>> > I K'd out S10portmap in the /etc/rc0.d/ directory, but port 111 is still
>> > open. I can remove portmap from /etc/init.d/, but how big a concern is
>> > this port? I've got hosts.deny set to repel anything not using ssh.
>>
>> Well is a corcern since bugs can be possible.. and you need the portmap in
>> order to run things like postgresql.. but it is wrapped as you very well
>
>PostgreSQL listens on 5432 (if you have tcp turned on).  What would it
>need rpc for?  I have portmap turned off here and never had a problem
>with PostgreSQL...

Postgres definitely doesn't use RPC, you don't need it for that.
The 2 main things that you need portmap for are:

1. NIS (aka YP, yellow pages)
2. NFS

/etc/init.d/mountnfs.sh checks if you have any NFS mounts setup
in /etc/fstab. If you have, it starts portmap - because it is
needed for the mount. If nothing else is starting portmap, this
is it.

Mike.