On Tue, 18 Feb 2003 10:03:16 -0800
"Charlie Reiman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > Hi,
> >
> > Is there a way to control the aggresiveness of swapping. My computer is
> > on all the time with most of my most commonly used applications left
> > open. If the computer is not used for a while it takes an annoying long
> > amount of time to reload the open applications from swap (I may as well
> > reload the program form scratch). Is there a way to tell the kernel not
> > to swap unless required?
> >
> > I'm using 2.4.20 on a much modified testing system. The box is only
> > used for desktop purposes.
> >
> > Thanks in advance.
> > R.J. Pluschke
>
> I'm no kernel expert here but I've never seen linx swap out things unless it
> needed to. I suspect you've got a periodic task that wakes up and demands
> memory. Likely culrpits are cron tasks or a screen saver.
>
> If you have enough memory, you can disable the swap file completely and run
> with just RAM. I've done this on my laptop and it works fine. As a bonus,
> this may force the culprit process to log an error when it cannot allocate
> enough memory.
>
> Good luck.
>
> Charlie.

No unusual periodic tasks, don't use a screen saver (just blanking). It
appears to be a function of time, if an open program is not used for a
while it gets swapped to disk even if no other program is requesting
memory. I suppose the kernel is anticipating -- this process hasn't been
used for a while, swap it out, be ready for a new process. I would
try to run without swap but editing the odd large graphic file requires
it. The newer the kernel is the more I notice this. It didn't happen
with kernel 0.99 pl 14 :)

Thanks

R. Pluschke