Tom Allison said:

> I have an IBM A21m, if it matters.

I have a thinkpad T20, and suspend works fine on it with both
network and power connected.

Not sure how your trying to suspend(I haven't read the thread), but
what I do is su to root and issue a apm -s

works everytime, and resume works too. only drawback is that the
Xvideo extension is hosed when I resume, so unless I restart X,
X will crash when Xvideo is accessed(sofar only tested with xine).
At least once X totally froze the console when trying xvideo after
resuming, most of the time X exits cleanly.

Running debian 3.0r1 with kernel 2.4.20. I ran 2.2.19 up until
december on this machine and sometimes then in order to suspend
I had to get out of X first, either exit X or switch to a virtual
terminal(dangerous!). But it worked fine then too.

my NIC is a 3COM PCMCIA:
eth0: 3Com 3c562, io 0x300, irq 3, hw_addr 00:60:97:EF:DB:0B
  8K FIFO split 5:3 Rx:Tx, auto xcvr
(10mbit NIC/56k modem combo card)

just closing the lid doesn't suspend for me, it just makes a weird
beeping noise, perhaps this is what your experiencing, but apm -s
works fine....or at least last time I tried closing the lid I
think it didn't suspend, haven't tried it recently.

I suspend it every night, uptime at the moment is 6 days.

I do have ACPI enabled in the kernel(shudder), and am using the
kernel's internal PCMCIA drivers(I haven't worked with 2.4.x much,
so I'm not sure if the drivers on pcmcia-cs.sourceforge.net still
apply for 2.4.x or not..)

nate