Mark said:

> of debian, but this is going to be my first upgrade and  don't know how
> much I should blindly trust these things.  Should I  upgrade now or wait
> for the transition to gcc3.2 to end?

sounds like your new to debian.. if this is a new installation I would
reccomend upgrading now. The more experience you have dealing with
a broken system the better. And if you break your current system in it's
new state you risk losing less. Chances are good that you'll break
your system to _some_ extent sooner or later, that's just the way it
is when running the unstable(or even testing) stuff.

I personally have never run unstable, when I ran testing(before testing
became woody) I upgraded about once every 2 months on average. I run
a self built version of afterstep, and do not use GNOME or KDE(though
I do rely upon a lot of the gnome libs for some apps that I use). When
I upgraded I would exit out of X and do the upgrade there, just for
saftey, and don't remember ever having any issues, well none that
I could not solve fairly easily(or workaround).

at the moment there's nothing in unstable, and only 2 packages in
testing that I need which don't warrant an upgrade(just a recompile
of those packages on woody).

I probably will never understand the need that some people have to
use the absolute bleeding edge.

nate
(loyal debian user since '98)