Hi,

I have a X terminal running on an old computer and I just installed a
sound card in it. I have the card working, so I can play sounds when I am
logged in on the client directly. But when X is running, I see no way to
get to the /dev/dsp on the client, and all sounds are played by the
server.

How can I play sounds on an X terminal?

It might be possible with nbd to send /dev/dsp to the client's dsp, but
then you can only have one client per server.

I also would like to know how this is done with other devices, like
serial, parallel, local floppy's and cdroms, etc.

Which alternatives are there for nbd?

Thanks in advance,
Sebastiaan