Thanks for the answer.

Is ttmkfdir better than mkttfdir, which I found on my system? Since my last
message, I have gone ahead and installed the fonts, using mkttfdir, but maybe
there's some reason to remake the fonts.dir file with ttmkfdir. I did notice
that the Microsoft Web fonts were indicated as iso-8859-1 and not iso-10646-1,
even though they (to some degree) support Unicode - this was even true of the
(non-MS font) Lucida Sans Unicode, which is made to be used as a Unicode font;
i.e., it was indicated in the fonts.dir file as iso-8859-1.

- Jimmy Kaplowitz
[EMAIL PROTECTED]