On Sun, Mar 25, 2001 at 09:37:50AM -0700, Simmons-Davis wrote:
> Dear Debian Group,
>
> I am unable to run lynx on the Debian 2.2r2 system I recently installed.
> After I run "wvdial", connect to my ISP, hit "cntrl z" and then type the
> command "lynx" at the command prompt (all as root) I get the following
> errors (I have also set http://www.debian.org as my start page for lynx
> during the initial configuration, is it incorrect to have a remote host as
> my startpage?):
>
> debian:~# lynx
>
> Looking up www.debian.org
> Unable to locate remote host www.debian.org.
> Alert!: Unable to connect to remote host.
>
> lynx: Can't access startfile http://www.debian.org/
> debian:~#
>
> Please advise me as to how to get lynx working. Thank you very much for your
> time and energy.

I've never used wvdial but there is no reason to be running lynx as root
to surf.  Try -
$ lynx 198.186.203.20
This should get you to the debian site.
If it does then you don't have an entry to your dns server in -
/etc/resolv.conf

Otherwise you probably aren't connected to the net.  Can you 'ping' out?
kent

--
 From seeing and seeing the seeing has become so exhausted