On Tue, Apr 10, 2001 at 06:48:45PM -0700, David Steinberg wrote:
> On Tue, 10 Apr 2001, Ethan Benson wrote:
> > you must purge all ximian and helix packages before upgrading to
> > woody, then install woody's gnome.  ximian does not support unstable
> > or testing.  and there is no reason whatsoever to use ximian there
> > anyway since woody/sid have up to date gnome (1.4 probably is all the
> > way there but it will be shortly).
>
> That's interesting, I was not aware that Ximian couldn't be used with
> testing; I've been doing so for several months, and haven't had any
> problems.

ximian themselves has announced that they are abandoning support for
testing and unstable.

again there is no reason to use ximian unless you want the ximiam spam
on your desktop, otherwise testing's gnome is just fine and up to
date.

> Is there a simple way to remove the Ximian packages and replace them with
> the Woody ones?

dpkg -l | grep ximian

purge everything that shows up

dpkg -l | grep helix

purge everything that shows up

(these steps could be automated with a dash of awk if you wish)

remove ximian from sources.list, run dselect update, and then look for
obsolete/locally installed packages, purge anything that appears to be
gnome/ximian related.

that should have fully purged every trace of ximian from your system,
at which point you can install pristine debian testing/sid gnome
either manually or via a task package.

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/