On Wed, Apr 11, 2001 at 08:41:09AM -0400, Kevin Stokes wrote:
>   I don't think it is.   How many copies of Redhat, Suse and the others were
> sold in the last two years?   How many copies of Debian were downloaded by
> newbies in the last two years?  Total those up and call it N.
>
>   Of those N, how many are running Linux today?   I'll bet it is less than
> N/10, and could be as low as N/100.

Or it could be as high as N * 10.  Don't forget that linux fanatics
tend to be just that: fanatics.  In the last month, I've downloaded one
Debian CD image, installed it on 4 boxes, kept one for myself, set up
one as a server, and passed the other two on to people who know nothing
about linux.  By the end of the year (although the end of next year is
more realistic), I intend to have used that same CD to set up somewhere
around 100 more Debian boxes and place them in the hands of people who
know little-to-nothing about computers.  Those users who already have
linux boxes have very little difficulty with them.

IMO, part of the problem you're encountering is that _using_ linux
isn't really any tougher than using windows, but you're looking for
user-level documentation on admin-level tasks.  I'll readily admit
that it doesn't really exist - and I'm not sure that it should.
Another message has commented on how useless the windows help system
is for anything outside the average user experience.  In other words,
all that user-level documentation sucks if you try to get admin-level
information out of it.  This is essentially a manifestation of the rule I
discovered when I first encountered Visual Basic:  The vast majority of
the time, putting effort into making a tool easy to use for a specific
task makes it correspondingly more difficult to use for anything the
designer didn't foresee.  (I suppose the converse comes into play here
also: A general-purpose tool (such as most *nix commands) tends to be
more difficult to use.)

> 1.)  I assume most of the Linux community would like to see Linux be the
> dominant OS in the world, and think it deserves this.

Personally, I'm mainly concerned about being able to use linux (or
something else unixy) myself.  From there, it follows that I don't really
care what the rest of the world uses.  If I want others to let me choose
my own OS, I should let them choose theirs also.

--
That's not gibberish...  It's Linux. - Byers, The Lone Gunmen
Geek Code 3.1:  GCS d? s+: a- C++ UL++$ P++>+++ L+++>++++ E- W--(++) N+ o+