On Thu, 12 Apr 2001, kmself@ix.netcom.com wrote:

> Second.  This isn't win/lose.  It's live/learn.

How true!  So in that spirit, how did you set up that four-stroke kill
file ? ;-) Sounds really useful.

Seems to me that there is a problem for real newcomers with the docs -
for the very reasons that make them so useful to those who know their way
around a little. So much variety, so little time.

What might help is a daily post to the list with a subject line
"NEW TO LIST? READ THIS!!"

containing some basic advice on how to ask for help and on one or two
basic resources (like "man foo" and "apropos foo").  Not knowing how to
ask seems a recurring problem that often sparks the kind of debate we've
just seen.

I'd gladly do this if it seemed good to ....  whom ?  But with only a
dial up connection and occasional holidays the output might be somewhat
sporadic.

Worth pursuing?

Glyn
--