on Thu, Apr 12, 2001 at 07:26:54PM -0700, Len Cheatham ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
wrote:
> I cannot get Debian 2.2 to boot up. I tried the following 2 methods, to no
> avail:
>
> ATTEMPT #1:
>     After downloading the CD from the Debian site, I burned a CD for Disk #1
> and placed that in the CD drive. I booted the computer, and after going
> through all the install screens, Debian said that it couldn't find the path
> to my archives. I double-checked the path to the "rescue.bin" file, and it
> was entered correctly. I could not get past these screens. Two other people
> here at work tried it, too, with no success.

If you're installing from the standard ISO, you should be able to
proceed with the default path -- you don't have to enter anything here.

> ATTEMPT #2:
>     I issued the following commands in an attempt to make a Rescue Diskette
> and a Root Diskette.
>
> mount /mnt/floppy
> cd /mnt/cdrom/dists/potato/main/disks-i386/2.2.20.0.1-2000-12-03/images-1.44
> dd if=rescue.bin of=/dev/fd0 bs=1024
>     I issued the following command to make sure that the file copied
> correctly:
>
> cmp /dev/fd0 rescue.bin
>
>     I tried to boot from this floppy, but the computerjust sat there, with a
> blank screen and a prompt, doing nothing. No lights were blinking,
> indicating no activity on the hard drive or the diskette drive.

Define "just sat there".  Did the system go through POST and BIOS scan?
Did any of the drives light up -- it should has done a seek through
floppy and CDR.  If not, I'd suspect hardware or configuration issues
with the box itself.

>     The BIOS is set to boot in the following order:
>     1) diskette
>     2) CD-ROM
>     3) Hard drive
>
>     What can I do to get Debian to boot on my system?

What *can* you boot on the system?  Is there an OS currently installed?
Sounds like the install disk booted fine.