I am definitely a casual GNU/Linux user and a newbie, so please don't
take take this suggestion as absolutely correct.

When I first used Linux it was RHat, and I definitely wanted to keep
Windows working without incident. My approach was to load Linux on a
second hard drive & physically switch the IDE cable to dual boot. Yes, I
know, primitive.

I did a bit of reading and found that I could leave the Linux disk as
primary, & use LILO to boot Windows on the second drive.

You will need more information on bootable partitions and drive
addressing (that is, hda & hdc). I'm very foggy in those areas. The
command 'fdisk' can make partitions bootable. I believe that wherever
LILO is located must be a bootable partition.

The lilo.conf file that achieved booting from selected disks follows:

boot=/dev/hda
map=/boot/map
install=/boot/boot.b
prompt