Hall Stevenson wrote:

> So far, it seems that everyone has suggested avoiding internal modems
> and getting an external one. Why ?? If someone is capable of building
> their own PC, I'd hope they're also capable of reading the requirements
> of a modem they purchase. I've used two or three different *internal*
> modems with Linux with no problems. There are plenty out there that will
> work just fine.
>
> My current modem is a USR (pre-3Com days, I believe). It's a true v.90
> modem, not "upgraded" from their 'X2" firmware.

I have an internal USR modem that goofed up when I would dual-boot.
Win95 would screw it up so that it would not work under Linux.  *No*
initialization string would fix this; I had to power off the machine to
properly reset it.

(Amazing how Windows will goof up both my modem *and* printer, such that
they won't work under Linux without a power-down).

Perhaps I have missed a serial port setting or something, but I really
would not buy an internal modem again.

Yes, it is a later modem than yours.  But the point is, "reading the
requirements" would not have avoided this problem for me.

Fortunately, I now have DSL!  :-)