Hello,

I installed xserver-xfree86. The first few times the postinst died
with an return of 10. As I was debugging the problem (running it over
5 times), it suddenly worked perfectly, so I can't really file the bug
report... It seemed to come from debconf though (as far as I could
tell anyway).

Anyway, back on topic, I tested X out with gdm from
unstable. Everything worked fine. I could not log in, probably because
of the Helix stuff still installed.

I purged all Helix stuff, including some extra packages (gdm,
logrotate, hence heimdal-kdc and mailman. ooops. Good thing for
backups! Still not sure why one of my apt-get remove --purge
<helixpackage> wanted to remove logrotate though).

I reinstalled gdm, and now mouse, display work fine, but my keyboard
dies. I haven't worked out how to change console or login with the
mouse ;-), so effectively the console has crashed (locally).

Logging in remotely works, where I killed the server. I started gdm
again, and the same problem reoccured.  Replugging the keyboard
connector does not help (I guess I have to stop X first).

Running startx works fine (Except for sawfish not being installed).
So I guess the problem must be gdm's fault:
ii  gdm            2.0-0.beta4.15 GNOME Display Manager

Anyone else noticed the same problem? I find it surprising that
upgrading from Helix code works, but installing from scratch doesn't.
--
Brian May <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>