I've a Debian "unstable" installation, up-to-date.

If more than a single user is using gnome on the console, then the
latter users can not start the gnome panel (as of
gnome-panel_1.4.0.3-1).

After some hunting around I think the problem might be that
/usr/bin/panel seems to create /tmp/languages owned by the first user.
When another user starts up Gnome and panel the panel application is
unable to start up the panel because the file /tmp/languages already
exists and is owned by someone else. This file does not go away,
either, when the first user exits.

Temporary solution is for the user to remove /tmp/languages each time
they exit, although this does not help multiple concurrent Gnome
sessions.

Any ideas if there is something in my set up that causes this?

Seems like older versions of gnome-panel do not have anything to do
with /tmp/languages?

Cheers,
Graham