On Tue, May 08, 2001 at 08:32:01PM -0700, Alvin Oga wrote:
> mkinitrd  ...
>
> or take an existing initrd.gz file...decompress it
> into /dev/ram  or /dev/loop
>
> than change the kernel to your version, add your libs/commands
> and other stuff you want in the initrd to make your system
> bootable
>
> and compress that /dev/loop image into  your_initrd.gz   and add that
> as your initrd image in lilo
>
> or so goes the simplified 3-line howto...

um, point the way or name the doc, if you would.

> either way...you need to make sure you have minixfs and /dev/ram enabled
> in your kernel to be able to create initrd files

eh?

> i created a full system in about 2.5Mb that expands into 8-16Mb of
> linux hierachy that runs in memory ( /dev/ramxx )
>       ( put that on a 4Mb flash and you've got a nice firewall ?? )

ding ding ding! you've got my attention... that's almost
precisely what i'd like to accomplish. can you do that with
debian?

> you can try tomsrtbt too but, its bash is too small as is its libraries

do you have a more fleshed-out documentation trail of making a
uncompress-onto-ramdisk-during-boot system?

--
DEBIAN NEWBIE TIP #3 from Will Trillich <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
: