On Mon, 2003-02-24 at 13:25, Craig Dickson wrote:
> deFreese, Barry wrote:
>
> > Actually, Fantasia was supposed to get updated every couple of years and
> > re-released to show the updates in technology in animation and the growth of
> > music.  It was basically supposed to be a continuing work in progress but as
> > you say, after he passed away that dream was never realized.
>
> As I recall, the dream was never realized because Fantasia didn't make
> much money in its first release. Walt had another 25 years to put out an
> update before his death in the '60s, but he never did, so I don't think
> it's quite accurate to say that his death was the crucial factor.
>
> Of course, we now have Fantasia 2000, which utterly fails to live up to
> the standards of its famous predecessor, though the flamingo sequence is
> the funniest thing to come out of Disney in at least 30 years.
>
> Craig

I know that the Fantasia I saw as a kid, and the Fantasia I have on
video tape (and saw in a theatre in 1984 when it was restored) are
different. The original Fantasia, from what I understand, was
substantively longer, but as time passed, it stayed in continuous
release, playing on some screen, somewhere, but scenes were deleted to
"improve" the flow. I've heard that the original version was four hours
long. I grew up with an LP soundtrack with four key major segments from
Fantasia, and one part was a bullfight - long since gone.
ML Kahnt New Markets Consulting
Tel: (613) 531-8684 / (613) 539-0935
Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]