hi ya dan

i think the problem you have w/ hardlinks is more basic,
how to create hard links or soft links... not a tar problem

# ln -s /home/foo/something.txt /home/bar
        - never use explicit directories
vs

# cd /home/bar ; ln -s ../foo/something.txt .
        - always use relative directories

links becomes a problem when you are logging into many machines
on the local LAN and need to get access to the files on other servers
        /home/<foo> is a common problem
        and will break if /home/foo is  actually /export/home/user/<foo>
        on some machines and not others ( dpeends on disks and who
        was the admin that inherited the old/broken /home stuff

        /home should be portable across servers and networks

        /etc/foo.txt, /var/<something>/foo.txt areanother misconfigured
        hard or soft links

relative links is the preferred methodology ( hard or soft )
and avoids the leading / and allows the portability of
the files to be restored or shared in any level of hiercharcy
        cd /export/home ; tar zxvfp backup.tgz
        and the symlinks would still work

c ya
alvin