It is annoying that not all the messages that go to the screen go
somewhere else.  As one possible reason for this, I'll just tell you
what happened when I tried to alter the scripts to write more stuff to
a file: it didn't work.

The problem is that early in the boot process the file system is
read-only (or at least some of the file system is).  Then the fact
that I got errors from illegal writes in turn caused more serious
problems.  At least that was my interpretation of what happened.  I
backed out the logging, and things went back to normal.