Hello,

In the fall, I will be starting a new position as Professor of Sociology
at the University of Florida.  When I interviewed, one of my
requirements was that I be allowed to run linux on my office computer.
They said it would not be a problem.  However, now that I have signed
the contract and am soon to arrive, they have attached some conditions.
The most serious condition is that I must sign a document stating that I
am financially responsible for any cost incurred by the University if
someone hacks into my computer and causes damage to their network.
Although I have philosphical objections to this kind of policey, I am
willing to sign this if that is what it takes because I am quite
confident about my knowledge of security issues.

Anyway, here is the reason for this call for help.  Tomorrow, I must
talk on the phone with the sysadmin of the College of Liberal Arts and
Sciences and explain two things: 1) they want to know why I need linux
instead of using their unix system and having MS Windows on the desktop;
and 2) they want to know that I am conscious of security issues.  If
anyone has any suggestions for the kinds of things to stress, I would be
happy to hear them.  I plan on emphasizing the fact that I disable most
services in inetd.  The only servers I run are an ssh server and an ftp
server.  I do not allow anonymous ftp, and I tunnel all my ftp transfers
through ssh.  I am the only person with an account on my box.  I will
also emphasize the fact that security updates are available on a daily
basis through debian's dpkg system.

Here is one concern of theirs, though, that I don't understand.  They
said one problem with linux is that it will trick their network into
thinking that my linux box is the main server, thus bringing down a
system of over 2000 users.  I cannot imagine how this would happen.  The
only thing I can think of is the issue of the master browser in samba.
If it is "elected", I suppose my machine could force itself to be the
server.  I don't know enough about samba, though, to know if this is
possible.  However, if I don't run a samba server, it wouldn't be a
problem, right?  Can anyone else think of why this might happen?

Thanks and sorry this message was so long,
Brian
--

Brian J. Stults
Doctoral Candidate