Hi all,

I just tried to upgrade my system from potato to woody.  I believe
these are the correct steps:

  (1) replace "potato" with "woody" everywhere in /etc/apt/sources.list

  (2) apt-get update

  (3) apt-get dist-upgrade.

When I do step (3), I see (among other things) the message

    WARNING: The following essential packages will be removed
    This should NOT be done unless you know exactly what you are doing!
      sysvinit util-linux (due to sysvinit)
    544 packages upgraded, 87 newly installed, 36 to remove and 6 not upgraded.
    Need to get 348MB of archives. After unpacking 173MB will be used.
    You are about to do something potentially harmful

On the face of it, removing sysvinit looks like a bad idea, so I
stopped at this point.  Has something gone horribly wrong with my
set-up, or is this in fact harmless?

Thanks in advance for any guidance.

Cheers,

Graham