On Sun, Jul 22, 2001 at 10:00:39AM -0400, J.F.Gratton wrote:
> ---
> Preparing to replace libc6 2.1.3-18 (using .../libc6_2.2.3-7_i386.deb) ...
> cp: invalid option -- L
> Try 'cp --help' for more information.
> dpkg: error processing /var/cache/apt/archives/libc6_2.2.3-7_i386.deb
> (--unpack):
>  subprocess pre-installation script returned error exit status 1
> ---

It's already filed as an important bug in the libc6 package.

> Sorry if this seems long, I thought that putting the whole message might
> help people.

That is fine, you provided the right data in fact.

> I went throught the /var/lib/dpkg/info/libc6.* to find any mentions of
> cp -L without finding anything.

It broke during the unpacking, as the error messages say.  In such case,
dpkg will roll back to the previous version of the package.  So the
preinst script on your disk is the old one, without the cp -L.

> My system is now stuck half-installed as I cannot continue (libc6 being
> important as it is for other packages).
>
> Anyone knows where to go from there ? Thanks

I'm afraid you're stuck until a fixed libc6 is uploaded.  Maybe you can
suspend dpkg just between unpacking the new preinst script and executing
it, so you can fix it and then continue dpkg in the foregroung again,
so it will run the fixed preinst script.  It is a bad hack though and
YMMV, ranging from fixing to completely hosing your system (no kidding).

Your best bet is to sit on your hands until this is fixed in libc6.

Cheers,

Joost