On 23-Jul-2001 Stan Brown wrote:
> I'm building a new STABLE machine this weekend.
>
> By not paying enough attention to the depedncies that dselect picke, I
> would up with a broken install of aolserver. I don't need this package at
> all, but dpkg --remove aolserver fails.
>
> How can I remove all traces of this package?

guessing that you probably get the "this package is not properly install,
reinstall it".  which seems odd when you are trying to remove it.

# dpkg --purge --force-reinstreq aolserver # go away, I mean it!

check out dpkg --force-help for other useful options.  *Warning* --force-foo is
dangerous when used when not need.  Unlike rpm, most Debian problems need not
be solved by --force.

P.S. note the use of --purge, --remove will leave behind conffiles and some
other items.  purge makes the package disappear.