Not sure on this one. Make sure your master volume
is not being set to zero. Also think you may find
some info on http://www.linuxnewbie.org/ and/or the
ALSA site (not sure of its URL). Newbie is where
I found the info to get me going sometime back.
( A google search got me there to start with. )

I built mine from the ALSA sources, and it sets
up different than Debian.

--
*  For God so loved the world that He gave his only begotten Son,  *
*  that whoever believes in Him should not perish...    John 3:16  *