Joey Hess <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> sync:
>
>       The shell of user sync is /bin/sync. Thus, if its password is set
>       to something easy to guess (such as ""), anyone can sync the system
>       at the console even if they have no account on the system.
>
>       HELP: If that is the only purpose of user sync, then group sync
>             seems not very useful. The sync user could just as well be in
>             nogroup.

It's also a big security hole if you leave it without a password. Then
you may login via an xdm session.

> operator:
>
>       Operator is historically (and practically) the only 'user' account
>       that can login remotely, and doesn't depend on NIS/NFS.

When using dump/restore, dump sends a message via ttys to all members
of the operator group when a tape needs to be rotated.

> disk:
>
>       Raw access to disks. Mostly equivilant to root access.
>
>       HELP: Well, I have some disk devices in /dev/ owned by the group,
>             but I can't see the point. On another system, I noticed that some
>             of the files lilo puts in /boot/ are also owned by disk. I
>             can imagine local uses for such a group, like if you want to
>             give some users in the group direct access to some hard disk.
>             But these uses I've found on my systems seem to preclude
>             doing that easily; if I put a user in group disk here, they'd
>             have write access to the root filesystem.

Very useful for backup (dump) programs. They can be ran with the disk
and tape group without requiring root access.

Phil.