* Jaldhar H. Vyas ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) [010810 05:22]:
> On Fri, 10 Aug 2001, Rog?rio Brito wrote:
>
> >     I don't know how this program you mentioned works with
> >     maildirs, but the inbox maildir is usually called ./Maildir/
> >     (note the ending slash), relative to the home directory of the
> >     user to whom qmail-local is doing the delivery.
> >
> >     This is just a standard convention made by Dan Bernstein, but
> >     the maildir can be named whatever the user wants if he puts
> >     the appropriate instructions in his $HOME/.qmail file.
> >

> The problem is imapd has no run-time configuration.  Things like this have
> to be hard-coded in.  (Yes, this is a bug.  Better men than I have tried
> to convince the author about that.)
>

> > P.S.: I'd love if kmail supported maildirs directly, without a dirty
> > hack of converting the maildir messages to a mbox.
> >

> ???  Why does KMail even care?  One of the main points of the IMAP
> protocol is that it abstracts away things like the specific format of
> mailboxes.  In my limited testing, it seems to work fine accessing
> maildirs via IMAP.

Well, that's two separate issues. If an IMAP server is written
correctly, there should be no way for clients to see it as anything
other than an IMAP store, no matter if the underlying store is mbox,
Maildir, or even scrawled on parchment somewhere. You're right about
that abstraction.

I think the poster's wishlist item referred to kmail's ability to access
a Maildir directly, the way mutt does. Sure it can speak IMAP and POP3,
but it can also read mailbox'es (as in when reading from a local
"spool"file). It would be nice if it could read Maildir and MH as well
as old "traditional" braindead mailbox. Ah well, I guess they can't all
be mutt =p

Cheers,

--
Vineet                                   http://www.anti-dmca.org
Unauthorized use of this .sig may constitute violation of US law.