Hi Kent!

I think it's not window-manager related. I tried different windowmanagers and
it's all the same problem. The display manager tells me "login failed" (in kdm)
or "authentication failed" (in gdm) everytime I try to login with the correct
log-in and password. So the only way to get into KDE or something like that is
to start X manually. I have also the blackbox and the enlightment installed. If
I start X with startx, the blackbox is loaded as the default. Could it be, that
there occurrs a conflict, if X is started then automatically by kdm or so? Do I
have to edit a config-file to change something?

Thanks,
Bernard

[EMAIL PROTECTED] schrieb am 08.08.01:
> Bernard Reißberg wrote:
>
> > BeRnArD29ReIsSbErG04IlMeNaU1980
> >
> > Hi folks!
> >
> > I installed newly Debian potato on my laptop and got the KDE 2.1.2 from
> > kde.debian.net. Everything worked fine but one: I can't login with kdm.
> > Everytime I try this, the login fails. But in textmode I can login without
> > any problems. I think this is not a problem caused by kdm, because the same
> > problem occured also if I try it with gdm or xdm. I tried it also with
> > different times of new installations of the whole system. But now I have no
> > more ideas what to do. I don't think that something is broken. The packages
> > are all actual from the potato-servers. Could somebody give me a hint,
> > please? I can only start my gui with startx. This should not be bad and is
> > maybe sometimes better than the automized start of of X, but I'm really
> > interested in the reason for this problem. Thank you very much!
> >
> > Bernard
>

> I suspect it may be window manager related. Perhaps startx is starting
> one wm, such as icewm, and kdm/gdm/xdm/wdm is trying to start a
> different wm, such as sawfish, and that one is non-functional. I believe
> kdm offers a pull-down menu to try different wm's, so you might try that.
>
> Or is it telling you that it really is a logon issue, perhaps with a
> message like "Invalid logon" or something, in which case it's not window
> manager related.
>
> Kent

BeRnArD29ReIsSbErG04IlMeNaU1980
Jetzt und nur hier Ihr original PREMIERE WORLD SportPaket
plus 100 Euro ExtraPrämie: http://premiere.web.de