* stan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [20030304 13:11 PST]:
> My point is that the testing release ahs proven to be stable in a
> production environemnt (for me at least), and has, for example, much more
> current perl modules, than stable. This is required for our software to
> work.

Okay, so even if you've never used apt's pinning features
(apt_preferences(5)), I find it hard to believe you've never heard of
CPAN.

> So, I would like to be able to beleove that a amchine running "testing" is
> at least reasoably secure.

This doesn't follow.  Well, I do believe that a machine running
"testing" is reasonably secure.  I also think that running it on a
production, Internet-accessible machine is unreasonable ;-)

As to the question of what you believe is reasonably secure, you're
going to have to assess your security needs.  If testing + cron +
apt-get isn't enough (and it probably isn't), then Don't Do That.
Maybe testing + debian-security-announce + deb-src/unstable + apt-get
source -b is the right mix for your needs.

If you want a rock, run stable.  It's never been the flashiest, but it's
always been the best.  If you need something that's not in stable,
you've always got /usr/local and/or pinning from testing/unstable, but
with either of those choices, you're on your own for security.  Nobody
should just rely on the security team and forget about security anyway;
as they say, it's a process, not a product.

good times,
Vineet
--
http://www.doorstop.net/
safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."  --Benjamin Franklin