On Thu, Aug 16, 2001 at 09:29:52PM -0400, Brian Nelson wrote:
> [...]

[ snip ]

> > The 'holier than thou' attitude of the person who posted the above is
> > disappointing, especially since he is apparrently quite knowledgable and
> > could have just answered my question. The annoying thing to me about this
> > thread is that it really only needed to contain 2 or 3 messages, my original
> > question and the replies which addressed (and solved... thanks guys!) the
> > problem.
>
> "Holier than thou" attitude?  I think it's the best possible advice
> you could have gotten.  There are some really good reasons why you
> can't run netscape as root by default.  At the risk of sounding
> "holier than thou," you really don't have a clue what you're doing if
> you feel the need to do normal user stuff as root.  Consider Karsten's
> advice before bitching about it.

Karsten didn't write that ... I did.  I was trying to point out that
this is all covered in the netscape documentation (which AFAICT the
original poster couldn't be bothered to read though he later posted
saying he didn't have access to the docs for some reason.  Oh well).

I'll skip the rant on people flaming those who answered the original
poster telling him running Netscape as root was a bad idea.

I've been accused of being `elitist', and now `holier than thou' ...
well, we all know it's true :)

Cheers,

Micromuse Ltd.                 | than a perfect plan tomorrow.
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]   |   -- Patton