On Thu, Aug 16, 2001 at 08:35:41PM -0500, spin wrote:
> Hi Folks,
> I hope you can help me on this one.
> Got my hands on a IBM PCServer 500.
> Has a Pentium 90 Processor (1)
> Micro Channel Bus
> IBM SCSI RAID Adapter w/CDROM Drive
>
> Here's my question/problem,Am trying to install Debian 2.2 on it.
>  I created a Rescue diskette from the Binary CD.
> Boot the machine from the diskette, all is going well until
> it gets to the " testing 'hlt' " line.
> Locks it up big time,I have to power it down to get out.
> Also tried to install from the CD and the results are the same as above.
> Any words of wisdom would be great.
> I do have DOS 6.22 on it and it boots right up.
> Any questions feel free.

This machine is a real bitch (pardon my midwestern english) ... let me
dig through some stuff and see if I can remember what the deal was.
The PC 5XX server line was ... interesting.

Do you have access to another linux box?  You're almost certainly
going to need a custom kernel.

Could you post some actual part numbers (like the RAID controller ...
I'm a bit nervous about a MCA RAID HBA).

Cheers,

Micromuse Ltd.                 | than a perfect plan tomorrow.
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]   |   -- Patton