Thanks for answering.

I am afraid that this is not what I want:
The problem is that the network card, after lots of data (about 4GB) -
either in receive or in transmit, stops responding correctly.
So I want to somehow "reset" in order to see if this will solve my
problem.

Any other ideas please?

cheers,
Mihalis.

On Thu, 6 Mar 2003, Gabriel Granger wrote:

> Date: Thu, 06 Mar 2003 12:58:56 +0000
> From: Gabriel Granger <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Cc: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Subject: Re: "resetting" a network card
>
> Hi,
>
> I'm not sure about resetting the stats for ifconfig, but if you use
> IPtables on your box, you can setup a accounting chain for the IP (i
> think you can also use the "eth" address, tho never have needed to do it
> by "eth") which then logs the packets and data, you can then reset the
> IPtables accounting chain which effectively resets the accounting chain
> stats.
>
> I can supply IPtables information for setting this up if you wish.
>
>     - Regards -
>
>              Gabe
>
>  [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>
> >Hello list!
> >
> >I would like to know if it is possible to "reset" a network card without
> >rebooting the computer.
> >
> >What I really like to do is to "clean" the statistics of the network card
> >(those that are shown with ifconfig -a or with ifconfig -s).
> >
> >Many thanks in advance,
> >Mihalis.

-----
:wq