On Mon, Aug 27, 2001 at 09:33:21AM +0900, Curt Howland wrote:
> Sorry for the multiple replies, but I have some new data.
>
> Adding to the audio group didn't work, because the SB modules never
> loaded. I have figured out finally that the sound card modle is
> "ES1869", but I have not yet found any information on manufacturer other
> than this model number.
>
> If anyone has information on this model, I'd apreciate it. Now, off to
> do a Google search...

I almost suggested you use the maestro driver, but that isn't it.
(ESS1968 is maestro, ES1869 is something else. lovely, ain't it?)

But anyway, if you haven't found it yet, the ES1869 seems to be
supported by the sb_ess driver. This is in the kernel, ver 2.4.9,
but I think it's been there a while if you're still doing 2.2.x.

Digging some more: sb_ess isn't a driver itself (in 2.4.9 at least),
it's part of the sb driver (100% SB Compatibles), which I think puts
you back where you started. :)  There's some extra documentation for
the ESS chips in {kernel source tree}/Documentation/sound/, which
more or less says everything should be configured automatically on
inserting the module, but if it doesn't there's other stuff to try.

HTH,
Mike McGuire