On Thu, 6 Mar 2003 11:00:21 -0500
"Victor Stan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Why, doesn't matter (cuz I'm fancy like that), what I want is a simple
> kernel on a floppy that I stick in and boots my Linux machine simple,
> no frills.

OK, easy provided that your kernel has filesystem support for the root
filesystem compiled in (not as a module). Otherwise, you need initrd and
it ceases being easy.

> kernel from unstable I think 2.4.20 or something
>
> boot dev = /dev/hda7

OK, do this, substituting your kernel location as appropriate

fdformat /dev/fd0
dd if=/vmlinuz of=/dev/fd0 bs=8192
rdev /dev/fd0 /dev/hda7
rdev /dev/fd0 (just to check... should report the correct root
partition)

That's it.

--Todd