On Sun, 2 Sep 2001, dman wrote:

> On Sat, Sep 01, 2001 at 11:22:23PM -0600, Rick Macdonald wrote:
> | Worse! I think I had the wrong sound card driver. I've rebuilt the kernel
> | sound, but now I get the dreaded "Can't Open /dev/dsp device". I haven't
> | figured out why yet.
>
> I recommend building all the (potentially relevant) sound drivers as a
> modules so that you can toy with them and try different settings
> without going through a recompile and a reboot.  If some specific
> kernel features aren't absolutely essential then you could use a stock
> kernel to figure out what you need for sound since the stock kernels
> come with just about everything in module form.

Good idea. I still have the original potato kernel (since upgraded to
woody/sid) so I tried it. After trying several other drivers I went full
circle and convinced myself that I do have the right driver (i810_audio),
which is the one that caused sawfish to hang when gnome window events had
sound turned on.

It does work somewhat:

I can run "play english.au" and it sounds perfect but gives these
messages:

playing english.au
sox: Sound card appears to only support singled word samples.  Overriding
format
sox: Sound card appears to only support 2 channels.  Overriding format

If I try to play the same file with xanim, the sound is all choppy and
fast (sounds like The Chipmunks).

Maybe the i810 support isn't very good?

...RickM...