On Wed, Sep 05, 2001 at 11:16:42AM -0400, Kyle Girard wrote:
> Somewhere in between now and about hmm a month ago my ability to print
> has ceased.
>
> Here's some background info:

> kernel 2.4.9
> Printer:  hp720c
>
> I am using magicfilter with pnm2ppa
>
> my printcap hasn't changed in a long time..
>

> # This file was generated by /usr/sbin/magicfilterconfig.
> #
> lp|hp720c|hp:\
>       :lp=/dev/lp1:sd=/var/spool/lpd/hp720c:\
>       :sh:pw#80:pl#66:px#1440:mx#0:\
>       :if=/etc/magicfilter/pnm2ppa-720-bw-eco-filter:\
>       :af=/var/log/lp-acct:lf=/var/log/lp-errs:
>

> I seem to be having some issues with lpd.  I run /etc/init.d/lpd stop
> and it spits
>

> Stopping printer spooler: lpd not running.
>
> even though
>
> ps ax | grep lpd
> 741 ?        S      0:00 /usr/sbin/lpd
> 782 pts/0    S      0:00 grep lpd

Try -
# kill -9 741

That should kill lpd.  Then restart it.

> I also cannot clear the queue .... I have three things in there and they
> will not leave!  Any help would be appreciated.

Have you tried clearing the queue with -
# lprm
?

Seems like one time I had to run "lpc up all" or "lpc enable all" to get
my printing to work.  Check the lpc man-page for more info.

Some error messages from your end would help if you get any.
hth,
kent

--
"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the
   same level of thinking we were at when we created them."