also sprach Bostjan Muller (on Thu, 13 Sep 2001 02:47:20PM +0200):
> 1. I cannot ssh/scp to a remote machine, if the user has an shell
> that does not allow interactive login (like if he/she has /bin/false
> for the shell), that is ok for ssh, but scp should still work right?
> sftp does not work either.  Is there a way to make it work, I am
> most interested in making scp work?

i doubt this will work since scp /etc/file host:/etc/otherfile is
really just ssh host 'cat > /etc/otherfile' < /etc/file - so it is a
no-interactive login remotely, which is not granted with /bin/false.

sftp also uses a shell - interactively actually.

> 2. If the user has something echoed in his/her login scripts like in
> ~/.bashrc  a line echo "lalala", he/she is able to login via ssh,
> but is not able to do scp. The line lalala is displayed, but than
> the program stops and the transfer is not made. Is there a way
> around this?

by the above reasoning, lalala is interpreted as data from the host
that's part of the scp operation.

  \____ echo mailto: !#^."<*>"|tr "<*> mailto:"; [EMAIL PROTECTED]