On Wednesday 26 September 2001 04:39 pm, jackp wrote:
> I want to copy my root system from one hard disk to another
> to run on a separate machine.  Is there an easy way to do
> this? <snip>

Sure.  There are a bunch of ways to do this.

You could swap out disks, mount the disk you want to copy to, and then you
can execute a variety of commands to copy the files.  I think it's a personal
preference thing, though I'm sure some ways are better than others.

I've been doing

cp -av /usr /home /etc /boot /var [rest of the root dirs minus /mnt]
/mnt/new_disk

[And of course the new disk is mounted under 'new_disk']

There are probably better ways, though. :)