On Wed, 26 Sep 2001 09:53:11 +0200
LAMIRAULT Nicolas <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> hello everybody,
>
> i will buy a laptop. Perhaps it will be the HP Pavillon N 5461.
> Does anybody have install debian linux on this laptop ?
>
> Could you send me some links to know on which laptops i can install
> linux easily.
> Could i have yours point of view about install of linux on others
> laptops ?

Currently running an IBM Thinkpad 600x. All hardware is fully supported,
except for the winmodem, but I believe it is a common type that has
drivers available for Linux. It works great, and it draws lots of
compliments from friends and colleagues, especially when they see the
performance Linux gets out of this hardware (a PIII 500 with 128M ram,
Linux positively zips along). http://www.linux-laptop.net is a great
resource, as it is a compilation of users' experiences with various
laptops and Linux. Check there to see how well your prospective machine is
supported.
You may have to tweak a little to get the best out of your machine. I have
the most problems with the power management occasionally locking up the
machine. Building your own custom kernel is almost always a given I
gathered, and I personally found the 2.4 series better suited to my
laptop.
Good luck with your laptop,

Mart

--
Requiem aeternam dona eis, Domine, et lux perpetua luceat eis.
Requiescant in pace.