Hall Stevenson wrote:

> For as long as I've been using Debian, I've had DSL and never
> the need to use dial-up... Last Thursday though, my DSL modem
> died and I tried connecting with dial-up.
>
> Running 'pppconfig' worked fine and I'm able to connect.
> Tail'ing /var/log/messages shows everything good, up to
> assigning an IP address (and depending on how I have DNS set,
> receiving DNS entries). Problem is, I can't do anything...This
> includes pinging a website by IP address. That rules out a DNS
> problem, doesn't it ??
>
> I can ping the address I'm assigned (local) and the remote
> address that /var/log/messages shows me (remote).
>
> I saw a recent post about the file "tcp_ecn" being set to
> either '0' or '1'. Well, I don't have that file. I tried
> 'touch tcp_ecn' and it didn't work. I tried 'echo 0 > tcp_ecn'
> (in the proper dir) and it didn't work either, nor did it
> create the file.
>
> Hopefully my replacement modem will be showing up very soon,
> but I'd still like to have the ability to use dial-up if
> needed. Any ideas and/or help ??

Do you have a gateway defined in /etc/network/interfaces?

If so, # (comment) it out as long as you are using ppp. PPP will set its own
default gateway. I have a similar problem when I try to use ppp on a machine
that usually connects to the net via ethernet.

Hope this helps.

--
David Raeker-Jordan
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]