Erik,

AFAIK most of the 'official' Australian debian mirrors are broken in unstable
and testing.
I put mirror.aarnet.edu.au _and_ http.us.debian.org in sources.list in order to
be sure it works (and then I still have that nasty problem with the dead server
on http.us.debian.org)

http.au.debian.org is a complete waste of time for unstable or testing.

John P Foster