On Wed, Oct 24, 2001 at 06:35:23PM -0500, Peter Hutnick wrote:
> What's up with this?
>
> /usr/src/linux# make menuconfig
> rm -f include/asm
> ( cd include ; ln -sf asm-i386 asm)
> make -C scripts/lxdialog all
> make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux/scripts/lxdialog'
> /usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lncurses
> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
> -e
> >> Unable to find the Ncurses libraries.
> >>
> >> You must have Ncurses installed in order
> >> to use 'make menuconfig'
>
> make[1]: *** [ncurses] Error 1
> make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux/scripts/lxdialog'
> make: *** [menuconfig] Error 2
>
> So I
>
> /usr/src/linux# locate libncurses
> /lib/libncurses.so.4
> /lib/libncurses.so.4.2
> /lib/libncurses.so.5
> /lib/libncurses.so.5.2

"make menuconfig" actually needs the ncurses _development_ libs, not
just the runtime libs.

Try "apt-get install libncurses5-dev" (if you're doing testing or
unstable) ... I believe you'd install libncurses4-dev in stable (I
don't run stable).

Micromuse Ltd.                 | than a perfect plan tomorrow.
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]   |   -- Patton