On Thu, Oct 25, 2001 at 09:06:29AM -0700, Andrew Agno wrote:
> Dave Sherohman writes:
>  > faster than a quicksort.)  If you are required to use a small data
>  > set, just perform more repetitions to get measurable data.
>
> This also allows you to obtain statistics like standard deviations and
> confidence intervals.

Umm...  No.  If you run 10,000 reps and only measure the total time
(because each rep is too quick to be measured individually), you can
only determine the mean time per rep.  You'd need the individual rep
times to derive any other stats, unless there are some fancy
techniques that I'm not aware of.  (If you do 2 reps and only measure
that the total time is 10 ms, you have no way of knowing whether the
individual times were 5 ms and 5 ms or 1 ms and 9 ms.  This makes
computing anything other than the mean rather difficult.)

have already won. - reverius

Innocence is no protection when governments go bad. - Mr. Slippery