On Thu, 2001-10-25 at 21:56, Scott Henson wrote:
> OK I have lilo set up and everything.  I put the entry for windows 98 into
> lilo.conf.  I upgraded to the lastest version of lilo in testing.  And now I
> cant change the mbr.  I run lilo after editing lilo.conf, but after I reboot
> lilo only has linux as its options.  The new entry for win98 doesnt show up.
> Also apt wont install x or anything related to it.  I got kde installed, but
> when ever I do apt-get task-x-windows-system (or whatever it is) it says it
> the pakage doesnt exist.  Also I try going into apt-cache search efree86.
> It returns a pakage, but I get the same pakage doesnt exist error.  I am
> reading the pakage lists and everything, but apt wont get certain pakages.
> It just says they dont exist.  I think it my have something to do with
> apt-get update.  It always complains about not getting all the indexes.  I
> do have the latest version of apt and all other relevant pakages.  I did a
> dist-upgrade to testing.  I am totally confused as to why this wont work
> properly.  Thank you for any help.

Reply with your lilo.conf file if the following doesn't work.  Have you
tried hitting left shift when lilo prompts to see if you can choose the
windows boot option?

for Xwindows (4.1 in testing?) try installing:

xfree86-common
xbase-clients
xfonts-100dpi
xfonts-base
xfonts-75dpi
xserver-common
xserver-xfree86

Please also include your /etc/apt/sources.list for your apt problems.

--mike